Hi Yuv,

Yuval Levy schrieb:
Hi Pablo,

On March 20, 2010 02:41:16 am Pablo d'Angelo wrote:
I think that moving to mercurial would good, and now is the right time
to do so.

OK, let's try to fix what still needs fixing.

I can see the value in keeping a subversion repository, but I dislike
keeping the SVN repo as the central repository for our branches. (Ie, no
developer will have/use an SVN checkout in any way).

I think we should keep it at least for historical / documentation purposes. Can stay unmaintained, i.e. revoke write access to everybody and put a note that the code has migrated to Hg.

Yes, I would leave the svn that way (and maybe commit some lines to the CMakeLists.txt file in the svn repo that prints a warning message and breaks compilation unless it is removed).

When I switched from CVS to SVN, I didn't keep a CVS mirror. It might
not be completely comparable to the current situation, but I don't
remember any complaints.

most of the CVS history seems to be available in SVN, while in the migration from SVN to Hg so far I have three options: a) hugin/trunk only, with all revisions from about 24.. (when Ippei's GSoC 2007 branch became officially trunk): 162 MB b) hugin the whole story, that includes autopano-sift-c, panoglview, kimagefuser, etc.: 5.2 GB
c) import trunk without history (top-skimming) and start from scratch: 1.1MB

I tried the following procedure:
1) rsync full svn repo at file level
rsync -Lav hugin.svn.sourceforge.net:svn/hugin hugin-svnrepo

2) convert full repo to hg -> 997 MB
$ hg convert hugin-svnrepo/hugin hugin-hgrepo

I used no special options (there seems to be a config file for branches etc. Its usage might improve things, as our repo is not structured as the usual svn repo, and we made some strange use of svn)

3) use hg convert to extract only the trunk from the full hg repo -> 51 MB
$ cat > hgtrimfilemap
include hugin/trunk
rename hugin/trunk .

$ hg convert --filemap hgtrimfilemap hugin-hgrepo hugin-hgrepo-trunk-only

So it is 51 MB vs 1.1 MB.

I suspect that hgsvn does not deal well with branches. Probably digging a bit further things could be improved, but what for? Given the choice I am inclined to leave pre-Hg history in SVN (properly set to read-only) and start from a clean import of trunk. What do others think?

While there are probably usecases for having the full history, it might be overkill. If possible, I'd like to keep at least the recent history, though, that might be a compromise.

I just did some hunting why the full history is so much bigger, and the main culprit seems to be the videos and pdf files that Ippei added to the SVN repo during his GSOC 2007. Also my svn mv to swap trunk and ippeis branch was not a good idea in hindsight.

It would be great if these could be removed either from the SVN repo (local copy), or we could take just the revision after the point where the video has been removed from the trunk again.

yes, SF is constantly under extreme load. The good thing is that with Hg the centralized repo becomes less and less important. It is easy, once we have Hugin on Hg, to move it to another Hg service provider. Unless you already know that you want to move to a specific service provider and that it does not offer Hg. E.g. Launchpad AFAIK is bzr only. I'm inclined to stay with SF for now, and do the migration. Better the devil you know...

Ack.

Some other points with the repo conversion:
- renaming of the authors (there is a name map feature in hg convert. I wonder if we should move from the sf id to real names (and maybe email, for people that agree with that?)

- Should we use named branches in hg (for the release branches etc), or not? If we choose to do so, it might be nice to convert them (if its not too hard).

ciao
  Pablo