On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:36, T. Modes <thomas.mo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Yuv,
>
>> I understand it slightly different. The hex-number
>> is a hash of the changeset that has nothing to do
>> with what came before and what came after. It is
>> unique and consistent across repositories, while...
>
> I think the hex number can be used to identify a
> changeset. It is unique above all repositories.
> The repository itself keeps track which changeset
> depends on which.

Git keeps track of content, and content is named by a hash of that
content (of course, you can tag with human-friendly names and you
don't have to type out the full hash either in most cases).

With regard to the discussion quoted above, git keeps track of
*commits*, the 'contents' of which include what commits come before as
parents.

Hence, if anything about the commit is changed (lineage, contents of
files, whatever), then so does the commit hash that is used as the
commit's name.

Here's what's nice about this: If and only if one repository has a
commit object with the same hash as a commit object in another
repository, it is (almost) certain that those 2 commits provide the
same working-tree content and were drived from the exact same history
all the way back to the root commit. That's awesome.

Sincerely,
Michael Witten