Hi Flo,

On 2 April 2010 20:14, Flo <florian.achleitner.2.6...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas!
>
> Thanks for your explanations.
>
> On 2 Apr., 16:53, "T. Modes" <thomas.mo...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> No, that was not the indention. We want to keep the make file approach
>> for stitching. The make file is created in
>> PanoramaMakefileExport::createMakefile. But this method mixes
>> stitching logic with make file syntax.
>
> Ok, but may I ask whats the main reason for using make here?
> It obviously causes trouble with escaping and quoting. Is any special
> make feature used,
> like dependencies, and changed files detection ..?
> Some rules depend on each other, in the generated makefile. But is it
> important to rebuild
> only files with changed dependencies? Or is it more like a static
> script invoking one tool after
> the other? At least the output of a make run looks like this, but i
> haven't looked at every line
> in detail.
> For example if you use make to run cp detectors, the generated data is
> part of the pto file,
> afaik. In that case, make has nothing to use as a generated file for
> that rule and check it's
> timestamp.
> But of course make is a well established tool, and it allows easy
> batch processing once the
> makefile is generated.

I'd love to see some replacement for the make. It causes too much pain
with all different kinds of special characters (some of them can't
even be escaped). Make itself isn't too complicated (it does simple
topologic sort and timestamp checking). Also I think It's not very
good for structured data (from which for example for CP detectors may
profit).

Personally I'd prefer something like Apache Ant, but in C++.

Lukas