Hi Tom,

On Jun 6, 1:32 pm, Tom Sharpless <tksharpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our stitchers still stubbornly refuse to ask for directions.

actually it is our optimizers and that's not entirely true.  I've had
consistently better results by starting with a template that includes
lens parameters and "standardized" image positions for my workflow.

> Would it really be so hard to add a 'shooting grid' that lets the
> photographer specify roughly the directions of the views?

IMHO this could make sense as a help to create the template, but I
think starting with a template can yield better results.

> That would surely help avoid false control points on highly symmetric
> scenes, and more important, would save much of the CPU time now spent
> uselessly looking for control points in wrong places.

yes, the optimizer should look into the template and try to generate
CPs only for images that are overlapping.  If I am not mistaken Bruno
has a perl tool for this in his PanoTools?

Yuv