On 11 June 2010 02:34, Tom Sharpless <tksharpl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, now I see the (multirow/stacked) CP option.
>
> I tried it out on an 8-shot fisheye spherical pano. It ran pretty slow
> (mainly because of the poor k-d tree implementation in autopano),

Also reading and writing the .key XML files takes up a lot of the time.

> could not place the zenith and nadir shots, and aligned the others
> badly, but with the right arrangement.

The generatekeys/autopano pair doesn't deal well with fisheye images.
So this multi-row feature is currently only really suitable for narrow
field-of-view photos.

> Perhaps it is not fair to test a 'multirow' algorithm on an image set
> with one 'row' and two 'caps'.  But a practical 'grid' method ought to
> handle spherical arrangements as well.

It will, but the plan is to add fisheye support to Pablo's
libpanomatic tool rather than continue with the distribution problems
of autopano-sift-c.

Do try it with a real multirow project. My experience with a 5x35
'gigapixel' project is that it just works, and although it isn't fast,
it scales linearly with the number of photos.

In the past you proposed a binary memory-mapped format for temporary
.key files, this would improve the speed considerably.

Antoine Deleforge will hopefully tackle some of these issues with his
Summer of Code project. It would be a great help if you could follow
the progress and chip in where necessary.

--
Bruno