On Friday, September 24, 2010 04:35:43 am Yuval Levy wrote:
> Thanks, Carl.
>
> On September 24, 2010 01:46:08 am Carl von Einem wrote:
> > Eric is right, it's about the dynamic range of negatives vs. positive
>
> You taught me sonething.  I always thought they had the same
> characteristics...

Slide film has about an 8 stop dynamic range depending on the particular film.

This is very similar to what we see with digital cameras although some may
have a wider dynamic range.  With color negative film this can be as much as 20
stops and most are at least 15 stops.  This is a distinct advantage when
shooting panos that have things like the sun and deep shadows in the same
scene.  In other words by default negative film is an HDR medium if it is used
correctly (IE. expose for the shadows).

On the other hand slide film generally has a better (IE. finer) grain structure
and as a result tends to have better detail if the cameras glass is good
enough.

But for me the real bummer with slide film is that Kodachrome is no longer
available and the last place that processed it just closed down a few months
ago.