Your assumptions are wrong: it's not Hugin which is using up all your
memory, it's either Nona, or more likely, Enblend. These are the
external programs which are used by Hugin to create the warped images
and to merge them together into a panorama. Hugin itself doesn't use
that much memory with the amount of images you have fed into it.

So unless it's a bug, I suspect you are trying to stitch the panorama
at an enormous resolution. Please check the output size at the
stitcher tab and report back.

--
Bart