Hello Jan

Kay is right.  There is no way software, just looking at an image, can
tell which way is up.  That requires outside information, either from
a person, who can judge such things, or even better, from a sensor in
the camera.  Many recent cameras contain good level sensors, that can
determine the vertical direction to better than one degree.
Unfortunately they don't record that information in the EXIF.  If they
did, automatic leveling would be pretty easy.

I've already written Canon several times asking for real level sensor
output; you should too -- if they hear from enough people maybe they
will do it.   Meanwhile, put a level sensor in  your array camera.

Regards, Tom