First apologies to Harry, will do, and following up from your
response.

For those who come later to seek resolution of this problem:

* Solution to problem *:

Check for non standard characters in the folder names in the path down
to where the pictures are you are loading.  I suggest normal letters
and spaces only.  Alternatively copy the pictures to the desktop and
load from there so as to avoid the Hugin program having to look down
through the folders with non standard characters to get to the
photos.

Also, once having loaded pictures and clicking to generate control
points, check that the photos in the control point tag page are in the
correct order. eg photo 0 paried with photo 1, then photo 2, etc for a
panorama. You may find them paired 0,0, then 1,1, with no control
points listed or showing. Once you pair them correctly, the control
points will show and be listed. This may have been a unique problem,
but noting in case it occurs for others.

More detail for those who have helped resolve this problem.

I can confirm that the issue was the more complex characters is the
folder names in the path to the photos, as well as what seems a
second, possibly related, issue.

Re file names.   As a process of elimination, I did find that the
presence of an option 8 character  "•", leading to "•" was part of
the issue. I also found I had to remove the brackets "(text)" that was
also part of the folder name. So characters and spaces only in folder
and file names to avoid this it would seem.

When I moved the two test photos to the desktop, to simplify the path
name and hence eliminate this folder name, I continued to have an
error until I noticed that the images had been loaded into the control
points tag window, paired 0,0 or 1,1. When I used the selection to
pair them 0, 1, then the control points showed, and with a clear path
name, all went well. So I found I needed to both remove the files
names in the path with these characters and make this adjustment. This
problem may have arisen because of the folder name issue, not sure.

Many thanks to all who assisted.

Excited to start using Hugin now.  It is a great program and a great
piece of work.  From a technical point of view, the mathematics,
algorithms and coding, complex work to give others a simple way to do
useful and fun things.  All involved have done a wonderful job here.

Cameron.