On Feb 8, 2011, at 1:27 PM, Bruno Postle wrote:

> On Tue 08-Feb-2011 at 10:46 -0800, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
>> i'm not aware of any program that can generate a tiff larger than 4gb which
>> can then be opened by any other program.
>
> I understand that if you use a libtiff with 'bigtiff' support this just works.

You're both right... adding support is easy enough, but the apps many of us use
in imaging workflows rarely have added this support.  Note that the official
release of libtiff still doesn't have bigtiff support - you must use the
experimental 4.x build to get bigtiff support.

>> not to be snarky, but what is wrong with supporting photoshop users?
>
> You are welcome to implement PSB, and if it is done well it will probably be
> merged immediately.  Though you should notice that it is enblend/enfuse that
> produces the final image, not Hugin.
>
>> it is a standard. and gimp should have PSB support.
>
> PSB isn't a 'standard', until a few months ago adobe were actively trying to
> prevent tools like GIMP from supporting PSB.

Has Adobe ever gone after PTGUI? I've never heard that Adobe was trying
actively to prevent anyone from using PSB; they have created hurdles to *fully*
supporting PSB (and PSD) outside of their own circle, but I've never heard of
them going after an independent implementation of at least basic PSD and PSB
files (by basic I mean bitmap data, not proprietary layer types).

>> honestly, try making large gigapixels. if you're stuck with making tiff
>> files and gimp, you are not going to get very far.
>
> Hugin is open source software, it exists within an ecosystem of other open
> source projects that benefit by sharing things like image libraries.

Speaking with two different voices:

As a user, I just care about what works, and currently PSB support is essential
for a seamless, large file support. I use Photoshop, which does not have
bigtiff support, and there's no solid indication yet that it ever will. Chris
Cox has been involved with bigtiff since the start, but he's been unable to
promise any official support. For me, PSB support in all my tools is the only
pragmatic solution right now.

As a professional in the imaging and digital asset management world, I'd love
to see bigtiff support bloom; I have a background in cultural heritage and TIFF
is a highly regarded format for preservation and exchanging image (and other)
data between platforms/applications.

But my pragmatic hat wins, right now - I want to generate a huge image file
from my stitcher and bring it into Photoshop, and right now the only option is
PSB.

Won't someone think of the users? :)