> On a related topic (large images):  any interest to continue the VIPS project
> idea from a few years ago?  maybe using GEGL?  that would complement the new
> file format nicely.
>
> Yuv

I think I should chime in with some findings about GEGL and why I
think it's not a good idea to use it. We have been examining GEGL (and
VIPS too) at university for your project. I wasn't the one who was in
charge of doing it, but I talked with a guy who was (side note: even
though I shallowly looked at gegl too).

GEGL has a great interface for use within image editing application.
But it's very suitable for use in Hugin. First, it's written in C.
Given the fact Hugin is written using C++ it would be necessary to
write some wrapper around GEGL. Second, it's aimed for application
like GIMP. The operations in GEGL are stored in a graph. This is good
when you are implementing operations which allows you working with
multiple layers channels. Eg. when you want your software to allow
taking one channel as a mask, blur it and concurrently taking the
input image, doing some operations on it and later applying the mask.
But Hugin doesn't need such interface. The worse thing is that the guy
who played with GEGL said that the caching doesn't work very well and
sometimes it can take a lot of memory.

I don't know much  about VIPS, but it seems to be in a better shape
and it seems to provide a nice C++ interface.

Lukas