Fellow Alien, I am also quite new to planet Hugin and I completely
sympathise with your confusion.

The most important thing to do is Don't ever hit the Align button on
the Assistant Tab - EVER!

> In particular, while I thought I had it turned off, running another align/
> optimize cycle causes the 'exposure' of each patch to be destroyed by
> some attempt to normalize whatever the dynamic differences are between
> the six samples.

There are in fact two "optimiser" tabs, one for "geometric
corrections" called "Optimiser" and another for "photometric
corrections" called "Exposure". When you hit "Align", it runs both,
tries to "correct" everything it can think of, and generally causes
mayhem. IMO "Cry Hugin! and unleash the Cogs of Warp!" would be a
better label that "Align" .. ;-)

The first thing to do is to reset all your project's "corrections"
back to a clean slate : on the right hand side of the "Camera Lens
tab", click "Reset", check all the boxes, and then hit "OK". Don't
worry, this Reset does not affect any of your Control Points.

Assuming your scans will not need "exposure correction" you need to
ensure that all the parameters on the "Exposure tab" are unchecked
(switched off) - use the "custom parameters below" drop-down and smite
them out by hand. The values which the Exposure optimiser messes
around with can be found at the bottom of the "Camera and Lens tab",
click on the less-than-obvious "Photometric" sub tab . Hopefully these
"corrections" were "Reset" to zero for all images (except under
Exposure & Color, the Blue and Red multipliers should be 1.)

On the "Optimiser tab" there are 4 'groups' of parameters to measure
each image's camera rotation ( y, p, r ), camera translation ( X, Y,
Z ), horizontal angle of view ( v ) and lens distortion model ( a, b,
c, d, e ). The "optimal" values for these parameters can be found in
the "Camera Lens tab" -> "Geometric sub-tab".

>From your description, you have a panoramic ( rotation about a single
viewpoint ) series of rectilinear images - so we can switch off the
'Rostrum camera' ( X, Y, Z ) movements. I'm guessing that the drawings
you have will be (well executed) simple perspective projections so
they won't exhibit any lens distortion; so switch off ( a, b, c, d,
e ). I would be very impressed if the draughtsmen had managed to avoid
parallax error between the images ( slightly different viewpoints ),
but unfortunately that one cannot be automatically corrected by Hugin
or any other similar pano-stitcher that I'm aware of - so cross your
fingers ;-).

So now the only parameters we are going to Optimise are the horizontal
angle of view ( v ) and the camera rotation ( yaw , pitch , roll ) for
each image in the project. Make sure these parameters are all Selected
and Camera Lens tab -> geometric tab -> "degrees of view" is not
Linked. Hit the "Optimise Now!" button ( top of the Optimiser tab ).
Hugin will focus its powerful magicks on only these 4 "correction"
variables, and I hope you will be impressed by the results in the
Preview window ! If your Control Points are plentiful and good, the
best way to check the results 'up close' is to process and export the
project with these "correction" settings. ( Kay's suggestion about
test-running smaller input files is good advice ).

On the "Stitcher tab", most of the first set of options are best
edited in the GL Preview window. The exception is "Canvas Size" : so
hit "Calculate Optimal Size" to circumvent the default 'resize to 70%'
imposed by the "Assistant" ( You might want to go to File ->
Preferences -> Assistant -> "Downscale final pano" and set this to 100
% !)

On the "Stitcher tab", for "Panorama Output" select only "Exposure
corrected, Low Dynamic Range". Delselect or ignore the Remapped, etc
checkboxes. Choose you output file format and compression, and then
hit "Stitch Now ..."

Now - depending on the size of the project and your CPU power - either
go make a cup of tea, or go on holiday for two weeks.

and keep your fingers crossed.

;J