On Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:53:41 PM UTC+2, GnomeNomad wrote:

> Jeffrey Martin wrote:
> >     one could argue that it is more user friendly to try to join the
> >     first and
> >     last image of the sequence (assuming a full circle) or that it is
> >     more user
> >     friendly not to try to join them (assuming only a partial tour of the
> >     horizon).  the most popular use-case should be the default.
> >
> >     there is no way for cpfind to know or guess if the sequence covers a
> >     full
> >     circle without trying to match them.
> >

> > I think it should try by default. in my experience (but i'm biased
> > towards 360's admittedly) most panos people try to stitch are 360 images.
>
> I've never even tried to shoot one, let alone stitch one. So I wouldn't
> make it the default. But what's being said about adding this convenience
> feature sounds good and workable to me.

I don't see any harm in having cpfind to *try* to match the first and last
image. If it finds a connection, voila, probably it was indeed a 360 degree
pano. If it doesn't find any matches, then probably it wasn't. How big are
the changes of a false positive (e.g. it connects the images where it
shouldn't)? Or a false negative (it doesn't where it should)? My guess is
that in most cases it will work. So even though I don't often shoot a 360
(I've only done maybe 4 of them) I opt to try finding a 360 by default. The
small extra cost of computation I don't mind.

--
Bart