Harry,
Interesting that you should say that  ... when I posted my initial
comment a small stitch of an old project (for an Equirectangular pano
of  only 4,000x2,000) was running for me as normal and producing
intermediate files I went off to bed and left it working  ... but this
afternoon (12 hours later) Enblend was still running taking 80% of one
processor with no sign  of it producing anything.

Is that the symptom of the problem that happens on Lion?

all the best
George