I tried again with 8-bit TIFF files and got all the same error
messages

I googled the error message and found that in other contexts it is
described as
" an exception thrown by the libTIFF [when] it does not like the
layout of your IPTC profile."

So then I tried it with a set of JPEGS and the error messages did not
appear but the control point search still ends in:
    "Failed to execute ...cpfind".

I tried all the top images from the exposure-stacks and I tried the
whole of a stack the result was the same in each case.

George