Harry,
Thanks for that suggestion.

I opened the recent project in Hugin selected the top images from each
of the exposure stacks and invoked CPfind.  It crashed in the same way
as before.  I tried your suggestion with "Tail".  The text below is
the result:
I am assuming that the relevant lines start at the 01:23:29 timestamp
and include the ones before that just to show that I haven't missed
anything out.

____________________________
 Sep 24 01:08:14 georges-macpro WebProcess[25993]: INSERT-HANG-
DETECTED: Tx time:5.147878, # of Inserts: 80, # of bytes written:
3129745, Did shrink: NO
Sep 24 01:15:24 georges-macpro login[27637]: USER_PROCESS: 27637
ttys000
Sep 24 01:15:32 georges-macpro
[0x0-0x546546].net.sourceforge.hugin.Hugin[27641]:
MainFrame::RestoreLayoutOnNextResize()

Sep 24 01:23:29 georges-macpro mDNSResponder[20]: ERROR:
mDNSPlatformReadTCP - SSLRead: -9806
Sep 24 01:23:29 georges-macpro mDNSResponder[20]: ERROR: tcpCallback -
attempt to read message length failed (-1)
Sep 24 01:23:58 georges-macpro ReportCrash[27672]: Saved crash report
for cpfind[27667] version ??? (???) to /Users/grow/Library/Logs/
DiagnosticReports/cpfind_2011-09-24-012358_Georges-MacPro.crash

I have retrieved the file Diagnostic Report and I will email it
directly to you separately ...

all the best
George