Yeah, I'd say that would be an improvement.
I imaging they try to think about placement of controls, etc. for
Hugin on a regular basis, but the developers probably become
accommodated to precedents set by ad hoc kludging done during the
development process rather than from from more conscious UI design. It
must be hard as the project and new features evolve rather quickly.