My impulse is to agree with moving the image controls to the right
side, although I think I would put them above the image, since they
control it. As you point out, all the other controls on the left
relate to the masks, so having the image controls with them seems
wrong.
On the other hand, they probably were looking to maximize free space
for the image. Also the current arrangement is consistent with the
control points tab. It could be that most of the problem results from
the image controls being in the midst of the mask controls. Perhaps
simply moving the image controls to the top of the left and giving
them some spacial or hierarchical separation would be a good solution
for all.
It's the perennial issue of balance—the natural human desire for, and
love of consistency against the truth that "a foolish consistency is
the hobgoblin of little minds."  :-)