Jeffrey Martin schrieb am 06.12.11 14:27:
I was thinking more about this, and whether an external logger with sync
(like you do with gps) would be possible

One other option that doesn't directly write data in the images EXIF metadata would be a timestamp for the external logger via the camera's flash sync contact. A rough time synchronisation of the externally logged data with the camera could be done with a simple display on your device showing the current 'hhmmss' value that just needs be photographed once in a while. Correct the EXIF timestamp with a simple exiftool argument later.

and the answer is definitely NO - GPS is very course, and in practical
purposes, you can have the sync off by a few seconds and the photos will
still have correct location data. not the case with the position of the
camera in space. and there is no way you can synchronize a non-tethered
device within 1/100 of a second or whatever it takes to correctly
synchronize such data.

so a device like this will have to be tethered.

in terms of the compass.... i've noticed using my analog compass that i
can't hold it too close to my camera or it is wrong. so i wonder how an
electronic compass will be able to deal with that.

I think I sometimes see compass errors when I get too close to the camera / pano head with my Garmin Oregon. But with a sensor you could use some kind of "antenna" that provides the necessary distance.

finally, in terms of custom exif data.... if we are to build this for
nikon, we'll need to hack the position data inside the exif data. i
don't think there will be any other way. we'll see ;)

The exiftool website has some more information, e.g. here <http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/GPS.html>

now, what nikon slr should i buy? i've been a canon guy up till now :(

I think a lot of people are waiting for the D-700 successor, usually referred to as D-800. Still the D-700 seems to be a trustworthy full frame dslr while the D-300s is the current DX (= 1.5 crop factor) equivalent. I use a D-300.
You'll love the bracketing feature :-)

Cheers,
Carl