If you're going to borrow lenses, then you'll want a compatible
camera, so it can help you choose between canon/nikon & co (also maybe
between Full Frame - more expensive - and non FF).

For me the most important thing is the lens: I have a Nikon D80 with a
Nikkor 50mm 1.4 that I just love. I'd be able to take the same
pictures with a cheaper D40 or more expensive D300.

I like my D80 because I have direct access to most of the things I
need. On the D40 I'd need to go through menus, which is a pain, unless
you're in a studio and you never change your settings.

The only reason I'd upgrade my D80 is concerning the ISO. Starting 800
the picture gets grainy, so I never go more than 640. Newer cameras
can go way higher (the max of the D80 is 3200, the max of the 7500€ D4
is a few 100,000...). Again if you're in a studio with plenty of like,
you don't need that.

I doubt I'd get much better picture quality with a newer sensor (maybe
more dynamic range). I would probably play a bit with the video, with
my 50 1.4 to have some nice bokkeh, or my fisheye to see how it looks
like, but I feel like video on DSLR are more for pros who are ready to
have several takes, can see the image on a bigger screen, control the
focus manually...

Of course it also depends on your budget...7500€ for the brand new D4
(available mid-February in France I think) which will seem huge
compared to you P&S...A D5100 if I remember correctly) might be better
for you www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5100.htm