On 21 Jan., 09:09, Thomas Pryds <tho...@pryds.eu> wrote:
> 2012/1/20 Erik Krause <erik.kra...@gmx.de>
>
> > Me too. This doesn't need to be an expensive one. The Samyang 8mm (also
> > sold under different brands) will do:

see also

http://www.lenstip.com/160.11-Lens_review-Samyang_8_mm_f_3.5_Aspherical_IF_MC_Fish-eye_Summary.html

I use and like this lens as well.

> Thanks. I think I'm for a circular one, though. Although I don't have much
> to base this preference on ;-)

With a full frame fisheye, particularly with the Samyang with it's
stereographic projection, you can take quite nice very-wide-angle
images which don't look quite as distorted as 'real' fisheye images.
And keep in mind you waste quite a bit of sensor surface with a
circular fisheye (about half the image comes out black) - this will
reduce your useful amount of pixels, and if, for example, you just
have a 12MP sensor and make a panorama, you won't be able to zoom in
very far.

On top of that the Samyang is a real bargain.

You may also want to have a look at

http://wiki.panotools.org/Special_issues_with_fisheye_lenses

for more on fisheyes

Kay