For my case, this is the newly available 64 bit version of Hugin (w new
GUI), running under Windows 7, 8G of real memory, plenty of disk space for
temp, and the max amount of memory used by Hugin appears to be less than
1.5G.  The failure occurs with ramdon set of photos at widths of 4948 bits
each.  Most cases I tried, the failure occurs after a handful of pictures -
around 4 to 5.  The error message simply says " "An error happened while
 caught exception: bad  allocation".   If I scale the pictures down to 1087
bits, there is no issue.  I can process over a hundred files no problem.
 What else info can I provide to help?