2012/9/6 Charlie Reiman <rei...@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Yuv <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> > On 5 Sep, 07:47, Harry van der Wolf <hvdw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The wiki page is not up-to-date anymore also due to newer OSX and XCode
> >> versions no longer supporting older OSX versions. Apple gets more
> >> aggressive in their policies regarding older versions. It might even
> result
> >> in two pages for OSX Snow Leopard and older and OSX Lion and newer.
> >
> > Has Apple dropped support for Snow Leopard and older systems, or is it
> > just being aggressive about the support in the development tools?  I
> > have a friend at university who is still on Leopard and he told me
> > that Chrome notified him that it won't upgrade anymore because it is
> > too old.  IMHO it does not make sense to build / distribute binaries
> > for operating systems that are no longer supported by the
> > manufacturer.  Better relegate those systems like Windows 2000 or
> > Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat.  Microsoft will end support of Windows XP on
> > April 8, 2014;  Ubuntu will end support of Natty Narwhal on October
> > 2012; and if Apple ends support for an O/S it does not make sense to
> > go against the stream either.  Focus the limited resources on the
> > current systems and let users of obsolete systems use the old versions
> > that were built when those systems where supported.
> >
> > Yuv
>
> I agree. Apple is very agressive in moving forward. While it would be
> great to support everyone forever, it just isn't practical as a
> volunteer run operation. It's certainly reasonable to keep old bundles
> around though for older setups.

As Apple declared Tiger 10.4 and PPC as out of support, I too declared them
as no longer supported for Hugin some months ago.
Then there is XCode to build the software like Hugin.
Xcode 3.x is supported up to Snow Leopard 10.6.x. XCode 4.x is the version
as of Lion (10.7) and now 10.8.
I am on Snow Leopard 10.6 and I don't plan to upgrade anymore.
XCode 3.x still ships with SDKs for ppc and 10.4. XCode 4.x doesn't come
with ppc nor 10.4 SDKs, and as has I know not even with 10.5 SDKs.
Then we have the "deployment target" which determines the minimum OS level
the application should run on. This is slightly coupled to the SDK as you
can use a 10.5 SDK to build for 10.4 and a 10.6 SDK to build for 10.5. The
used functions and function calls in such a build will be used/created in
such a way that it is compatible with the older deployment target (please
don't ask details as I simply don't know them).

As I'm on Snow Leopard 10.6 (or at least used to be) I'm bound to XCode 3.x
with the 10.6 SDK as the highest version.
A new builder, most probably on Lion or Mountain Lion, will use (have to
use) XCode 4 with newer SDKs that don't even support older versions.
Currently I build "everything" against the 10.5 SDK for 10.5 for Intel 32
bits and 64 bits with the default gcc 4.2. These run on 10.5, 10.6, 10.7
and 10.8
Only enblend/enfuse is build with a special gcc 4.6.3 against the 10.6 SDK
to be able to build an openmp enabled version that runs on 10.5-10.8. This
enblend/enfuse also comes with it's own private libraries in the build.
This is due to a change in the openmp implementation by Apple that they
don't want to change/backport to 10.5/10.6. This is therefore a real bug as
it makes "everything" openmp related incompatible.
As I'm told this shouldn't be a problem on 10.7 and up as these XCodes use
the new openmp implementation.
If you are on Snow Leopard 10.6 and you don't want this complexity you can
simply build the "non-openmp" enblend/enfuse.

These complexities that have come into the build in the last 6 months are
not yet in the wiki.

If you take a look at http://panorama.dyndns.org/macoverview.php, you can
see the current spread of used OSX versions (since January 2012).
I always ask the users on the download page via a small form to register
their OSX version and used hardware on every download.

As you can see: Leopard 10.5 is now being used by 5% of the users.
Non-64bit Intel hardware is only used by 2-3% of the users.
Next to that: My latest development builds were built against wxwindows 2.9
(as Google declares them stable in their google apps, so do I) and Cocoa.
wxwindows 2.9 is the first version that can be built against Cocoa which is
32/64bit. Carbon was only 32bits.
In previous versions all command line tools where 32/64bit universal,
whereas the gui parts were only 32bits due to the wxwindows/carbon
combination.
The latest wxwindows 2.9/Cocoa versions are 100% 32/64bit binaries
completely up to the Gui.
This change in the build is not in the wiki either as it is even newer then
the enblend/enfuse stuff.

After release of the 2012.0 version, the new builder(s) could now declare
10.5 and 32bit out of support. This will simplify the build greatly. If
he/she is on 10.7 Lion or 10.8 Mountain Lion he/she will not have the
compelxity of enblend/enfuse either, but might run into new issues which we
need to solve.

Harry