On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Bruno Postle <br...@postle.net> wrote:

> ..but it is otherwise ok?

Well, no. I'm not sure what you mean by otherwise ok, but the whole goal
with that was to get the image aligned to the first image, so it's not
really ok. Unless you mean that it's still a properly stitched image, for
which the answer is yes.

I suggest you stitch all these equirectangular panoramas and then align the
> output images as a separate stage of your workflow.
>
> i.e. in Hugin you can load several equirectangular images into a single
> project and align them into a stack.  When you stitch in the Stitcher tab
> select Remapped Images and you will get one remapped file for each input
> file.

That sounds like a reasonable idea. Will I run into issues drastically
remapping an image? That is, how well does a projection shift preserve
information stored at the poles and shifted to the center?

Additionally, I tried previously to align some of these images in a stack,
but it seemed to prefer them to be identical framing. The tutorials I read
on stacking all seem to involve a static scene with different depth of
field settings for each shot. My data isn't limited to one camera angle, or
even small changes in camera angle. The entire scene could be upside down
and shifted 180 degrees at one point.

Cheers