Hello David,

Some comments below.

On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 16:24:57 +1000, David Melik <dchme...@gmail.com> wrote:

I scanned a painting of mine (that I think is on canvas that is over
cardboard) in scans of four all overlapping sections, and followed the
tutorial on connecting scanned pieces. It works almost ok if I do it
automatically (without the tutorial), but Hugin seemed to make bands/waves
of significantly differing colour tone that are not on the original, but
are sort of parallel--but curved--in relation to the painting's horizon. If I follow the tutorial, then one side of the image gets connected maybe ok,
but the other side has some 3D warp that seems to have little to do with
the original. I am not an expert on Hugin or anything similar, but what
could be happening or could I be doing wrong for this case?

The painting itself can be called flat, but the medium was woven, but not
sanded several times after priming to make it flat, so the weave still
shows up a bit when looking extremely closely. That seems to make it hard
for Hugin to detect all the points (since the weave casts shadows) though
on one or two sets it detects tens of points... maybe the problem is it is
in four sections, more than the points... well, when I add points in the
ones that were not connected, Hugin cannot automatically detect them, but
as I said, it did connect two sets of the four with many automatic
points... it is strange. Anyway, I am not really sure what went wrong or
what to do. I can upload what I am trying to connect somewhere, such as on my own server (which would be slow to download the about 1 GB, but I could maybe use deviantART) if that would help... if anyone is willing to help.

I hope this is not too complicated, but I hope that if no one had done
something like this, someone involved with Hugin could figure out how. I
know it is possible with this sort of software, because I had the same
painting professionally scanned & connected as a poster for me many years
ago, and the graphician did it perfectly.

This might sound like a silly question, but have you carefully checked all the control points that Hugin has found? It is possible that the weave (which I assume is pretty constant) is causing the control point detector to make errors. The process described in the tutorial should work OK, if the control points are properly placed. I would be happy to have look at the project but at full scale it is too big for me to contemplate a download. Could you downsize each of the images in the set, to (say) something like 800x800, which would make the download a possibility. The only issue I foresee with downsized images is loss of detail in the weave, but that is just a guess.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell