On Sun 08-Dec-2013 at 23:42 +0100, Johannes Wienke wrote:
On 08.12.13 23:26 schrieb Bruno Postle:
There is a reason for this, the default TIFF output is the full size of
the canvas, the cropped area just represents the part of the canvas that
has visible data.  JPEG doesn't support the offset parameters needed to
do this, so you just get the cropped area.

For testing I have currently generated a TIFF. How can I find the real
size vs. the visible size inside that file? At least from the EXIF data
I can't find anything and also the size of the file is a lot less when
using a tight crop.

Different software will respect or ignore these offsets, you can read them using the tiffinfo tool.

There is a tool in Panotools::Script called pto2gpano that does all
these calculations to tag arbitrary cropped partial panoramas as Google
'photospheres'.

How exactly would I use this as a naive user?

It's a command-line tool and Panotools::Script is a perl library. You are on OS X, so you can probably install it from CPAN using this command-line:

  cpan Panotools::Script

After that you need both the JPEG file and the PTO that created it, you can then tag the JPEG file on the command-line like so (this assumes the JPEG is called 'project.jpg'):

  pto2gpano project.pto

--
Bruno