Hello Nick,

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:33:36 +1100, Nick Wedd <mapr...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am completely new to Hugin (I used Panavue successfully for years, but
stopped working, and even paying for a replacement copy didn't help). I
have found several problems, but I'd like to take them one at a time.  So
here is a real newbie question.

I load Hugin (the latest version, downloaded today).
I check that it's set to the "Simple" interface.
I click "Load images...", and select my images. They are two scans of
overlapping parts of the same large printed page, made with a scanner.
I get the "Camera and Lens data" dialog. I set "Lens type" to "Normal
(rectiliear)".  I set the "Focal length" to 3982 - I would like to set it
to infinity, but if I set it any higher than 3982mm, my images never get
shown. I click "OK".
I get the message "Setting the panorama to rectilinear projection would
keep the straight lines straight".

To stitch flat scanned images, it may be better to use the "advanced" interface, as you then have more control over the optimisation parameters best used for this type of project. See the tutorial at <http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/scans/en.shtml>, and follow that as a guide. If you have any trouble let's know and we'll see if we can provide further help.

As an aside, your name is familiar...is your father Bruce Wedd?

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell