Hi Nick,

your screenshots show Hugin's new standard window. i.e. you are running Hugin using the Simple mode (menu Interface -> Simple).

The sphere you see is the Overview (menu View -> Overview) combined with the Grid view (from the same menu).

Menu View -> Panorama Editor opens an additional window with some more options.

When you need more options switch Hugin from Simple to Advanced mode and both of these windows will change: "Panorama Stitcher" (the main window) will become the "Fast Panorama preview" window while the "Panorama Editor" changes to "Panorama Stitcher" (and yes, that is sort of weird).

Cheers,
Carl