How do you pan up and down? If you use the ball then it will change the
nodal point quite a bit. If the ball stays locked and has no wiggle then I
do not see how the ball can hurt anything and it would give you the option
to do things at slants, which could be handy once in a while.

If you are using the arm that you built into the panohead and you tilt up
and down, it should work if you have things set right.

I see that you did not build any side to side adjustments, but sounds like
you are confident that you put the holes in the right spot. I can not tell
from your photos if you have adjustments so that you can move the camera
forward and back on the arm or not. If you do, check them. I find the arm
to be a bugger to adjust, but well worth it if you can figure out how.
Another thing to keep in mind when you build them is that the pivot point
of the arm needs to be inline with the pivot point on the ball head. Get it
out of line, then perfect adjustment forward to back will be wrong for side
to side and vise verse.(In your build if in the main chunk both sets of
holes are in the center of the metal and the corner has a good bend it
should be good.)

As far as making hugin work better, have you tried adding the control
points by hand on one set and seeing the results? That would be an easy way
to check if it is hugin or your camera set up. If it is hugin, I often
select the problem photos and set the control points just on those 2-how
ever many at that one place at a time. It is slow figuring out which photos
to select to run CPfind on just them, but it often beats looking for
control points by hand.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/21ea1626-6e3f-4613-92e6-809af5541792%40googlegroups.com.