I've observed a problem with the GL preview that makes it very hard to
use for many of my panoramas.  Particularly when I use a wide angle
lens, I find that after I do enough optimization steps the preview
gets badly garbled such that it's essentially unusable.  If I use a
normal or short telephoto lens, this usually doesn't happen.

The sequence of steps I usually use is:

1) Create control points

2) Perform an initial optimization step, then do position/view/barrel
   distortion, then optimize everything except translation (lens
   distortion is significant with my 8-16).

3) Use the GL viewer to center and straighten the pano.

4) Calculate optimal size and FoV in the stitch panel (I hate that
   3000 pixel size that all panos start with; it's one extra step I
   have to do).

5) Crop out foreground and sky CP's (Celeste isn't perfect, and I
   usually don't use a tripod much less a pano head) and re-optimize.

6) Remove all control points except between adjacent images (I shoot
   panos with a lot of overlap, and I've found that control points
   between non-adjacent images lead to larger errors in the output).

7) Crop out any foreground points that made it through the original
   crop, and other control points with a lot of error (carefully -- I
   want to make sure that the points with large error are actual bad
   points; if there are a lot of foreground points, sometimes the good
   points are the ones with large residual error).  I run multiple
   passes, gradually bringing down the acceptable error.  At this
   stage I usually try to get it down to about 3 units.

8) Fine tune all points, remove all points with correlation
   coefficient less than 0.8, reoptimize, remove the points that the
   fine tune botched.

9) Continue with iterative optimization until I get worst case error
   under 1 unit.

10) Do photometric optimization.

Anyway, at some point during all of this the preview gets garbled.  I
found a particular case with a particular pano where the GL preview is
good, but the next optimization step results in a garbled preview.

The original images in question are all in
http://rlk.smugmug.com/Photography/Hugin-demo/n-NbPQS/ .  The "good"
preview is
http://rlk.smugmug.com/Photography/Hugin-demo/n-NbPQS/i-tmdKB7J; the
next optimization step results in
http://rlk.smugmug.com/Photography/Hugin-demo/n-NbPQS/i-vSbVSWP .
This is independent of projection (at least equirectangular and
Mercator).

The .pto file is attached.

In case it matters, I'm using the current repository (although this
problem has been around for at least a few years, I think) with a
Radeon HD5870 using the radeon driver with kernel 3.11.10 and the
following Mesa bits:

DirectFB-Mesa-1.6.3-4.1.3.x86_64
Mesa-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-32bit-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-demo-8.2.0-37.2.x86_64
Mesa-demo-x-8.2.0-37.2.x86_64
Mesa-devel-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libEGL-devel-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libEGL1-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libEGL1-32bit-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libGL-devel-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libGL1-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libGL1-32bit-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libGLESv1_CM-devel-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libGLESv1_CM1-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libGLESv2-2-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libGLESv2-devel-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libglapi-devel-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libglapi0-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
Mesa-libglapi0-32bit-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
libOSMesa-devel-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
libOSMesa9-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64
libOSMesa9-32bit-10.2.4-381.1.x86_64

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <r...@alum.mit.edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congrats MIT Engineers 6 straight men's hoops tourney

--Eric Crampton

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/201408050153.s751rZq9027345%40dsl092-065-009.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net.