Hello John,
A couple of our emails crossed, so I'll try to clarify as well as I can by responding to your questions below.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:09:52 +1100, John Muccigrosso <jmucc...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 5:06:30 PM UTC-5, Tduell wrote:

> How did you see that? Distances on the control points tab?

Looking at the arrangement of CPs in the images in CP tab, as well as
'show control points' in the Preview, but I may not have been seeing the
real thing.
Your later .pto provided as an attachment gave a different (better) result

here, as discussed in my previous email.

Do you mean you're eyeballing it to find bad control points?

I don't see your images, as I'm using dummy images (generated by ptodummy, part of Bruno Postle's Perl Panotools Script), which allows me to load the .pto and see everything as it would be but with plain coloured images. When I looked at the control points tab, I can see the arrangement of the CPs in overlapping image pairs, if the arrangement isn't the same in each of the images there is a problem. I also look at the error distances reported. I also look at the Fast Panorama preview window, using Preview and "show control points", this shows the bad control points pretty clearly. But...the really nasty control points I was seeing were an artefact of using the .pto that I extracted from your initial post, and it all looked quite a bit better using the .pto you attached in the later post...although that does still have a few CPs that are pretty poor.

(This is where I have to admit that I don't understand how Hugin works well enough.)

I'm going to combine my response to your other message here too:

Looking at the Fast Panorama preview, using rectilinear projection, it
iinitially looks pretty crook, but can be dragged into submission.

What do you mean here? What are you dragging?

In the Fast Panorama preview I select the "Move/Drag" tab and then select the displayed pano (anywhere) with the left mouse and drag it around until it looks a bit more like it should. Sometimes the pano can be way off centre and if in rectilinear projection it can become horribly distorted.
You can also select with the right mouse and dragging will rotate the pano.

Changing to other projections looks OK.

Yes.

The fit isn't real good, there are some nasty control points.

Based on what? (Not that I disagree!)

Based on what the Fast Panorama preview tells me in the "Assistant" tab, and also looking at the distances in the Control Points tab, and seeing the differences displayed in the Fast Panorama preview in the Preview tab with "show control points" selected.

The rectilinear looks nasty simply because of the overall FOV which is
beyond the limits for this projection.

Yes, these are some old photos I am trying to play with. I didn't take them with this process in mind exactly.

Here it doesn't look all that bad, apart from the few bad control points.

Yes, I can get a not-so-bad version out of it, but not with the Fast
Preview process.

OK, there may be some differences in behaviour of the Fast Panorama preview due to differences in OS and version of hugin. I am running Fedora 21 and hugin-2014.1.0 (a build of the current development source).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
--
Regards,