You can stitch this in Hugin without splitting the image first. You
need to load the file twice in the project and use d,e parameters and
circular fisheye cropping to isolate the two pictures. See this thread
for a similar solution:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/hugin-ptx/sSTJ4PTOloQ/discussion

--
Bruno