Thanks again Sean,

The methods you suggest are logical. That's pretty much how I attack
problems anyway. I was hoping there was a direct command to transform the
projection of an image. That would be a lot simpler (and probably faster as
far as CPU cycles go) than using the entire Hugin program.

I will try making a .pto and inspect it. It might give me some clues.

I also want to mention that I found a way to do what I want in Photoshop
CS6 but its also a bit inefficient. I could not find a way to do the
equirectangular panini directly in PS so I used several filters to achieve
a similar result. Since the images are all the same size and shape (they're
all video frames) my sequence of adjustments can be repeated across all of
them.
- I open the video file in PS and make it a "smart layer"
- I apply my sequence of filters to it (they are not applied immediately)
- I select "render video" and choose my video output options
- Then I wait just over 2 hours for PS to process 2 minutes of footage
(7200 frames) but then I have a complete .mov file.

So, the drawbacks of using PS are
1) its close but not exactly what I want, while Hugin does exactly what I
want in a single step, and
2) it takes forever and I have a fairly fast Mac.

I haven't timed how long it will take to export a video to 7200 separate
images from Premiere but that will play a factor.

I've also wondered how hard it is to make a plugin for Premiere. With all
of the thousands of things you can do in Premiere (or After Effects) I was
surprised I couldn't find a plugin that would let me change the projection
of a video. Maybe there is but I wasn't able to find it after 2 solid days
of searching.

I'll post what I find as I experiment with the .pto file in case it can
help others in the future.

Robert

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Sean Greenslade <s...@seangreenslade.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 09:29:41PM -0400, Robert Giordano wrote:
> > Thanks Sean and Zoilo
> >
> > I'm doing video editing on several Mac computers, OSX 10.9.5. I won't be
> > able to install PHP on them so I'm guessing I will need a bash script?
>
> PHP is not typically used for this sort of thing, so don't worry about
> it.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with OSX. I do believe it has bash,
> so pretty much any bash tutorial should help you. I like this one:
>
> http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
>
> > I'm not an expert at command line scripting. Is there a place where I can
> > read about command line options for Hugin? For example, is there a direct
> > command to change the projection of an image, given the lens and HFOV
> > parameters? Or do I have to create a .pto file just for this single
> > operation?
>
> My best advice here is to make a project with Hugin that does what you
> want, then save the .pto file and inspect it. Then either turn that file
> into a template or model your pto generation code after it.
>
> > I could probably look up how to get a list of files in a folder but then
> > might need some help after that.
>
> Best way to tackle something like this is to draw out the overview of
> what you want to happen. e.g.:
>
> loop over files:
>         generate pto with current file name
>         run nona / hugin_executor / whatever
>         move file to destination folder
>         delete pto file
>
> Once you have that, then start implementing a bit at a time. Breaking
> the problem up makes exploring unfamiliar territory easier.
>
> --Sean

> http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/20160711023721.GA16247%40coach.home
> .

Design215 Inc.
Commercial Photography, Advertising and Media
www.Design215.com

Robert Giordano, President
+1 954 461 7340 mobile
+1 954 630 3695 office