Peter, You seem to have created a very good stitch and I don’t think I can make
any suggestions that will help you improve it.

What I would mention, more for another time than because it will make any
noticeable difference here, is that, if you are adding h and v control points
to ensure that
you have a rectangular, correctly oriented frame for the stitch, you should
also allow the values of y, p and r for the anchor image (17 in your case) to
be optimised.
Otherwise the perspective of the anchor image may not match that of the stitch
as a whole, although in this example the discrepancy is probably dissipated
amongst
the other images.

On the image 4 problem, about which you wrote again today, I ran your b version
of the project file on the images you supplied and did not meet the strange
darkening
of image 4 you showed. I also replaced the control points with a complete new
set. The result stitched to give a panorama equivalent to yours, but again
without the
extreme darkening of image 4. Why it happened, or what can be done to avoid it,
I do not know. I do wonder if possibly your stitch comes from an earlier
version of the
project file.

Progressively extending the scope of the optimisation can be used to add images
into the optimisation in the way Bugbear suggested, and I have been forced to
do
that. But if possible I include the full set of images and add classes of
parameter cumulatively. My reasons for doing so are:

1. It can be helpful to restrict what the optimiser is trying to do at one
time. If too much is asked of it, it may be overwhelmed (forgive me for being a
bit anthropomorphic
about this).

2. One can stop as soon as a good stitch is achieved and thus achieve the
stitch with fewer parameters needing to be optimised. The more parameters you
include in
the optimisation, the more control points you need (I think).

3. At each stage I try to refine and extend the set of control points. My
objective at this stage is as much to achieve a robust and comprehensive set of
control points as
to do the stitch itself. Once one has a good set of control points I find that
one can usually reset all the optimised parameters to 0 (but leaving them
optimisable) and
then optimise the whole thing in one big bang. The result should be as good as,
or possibly even better than, the original optimisation/stitch.

I think the need to create control points oneself is a normal, if boring, part
of stitching photos of old maps, where control-point detectors can be thrown by
the splodgy
nature of the features in the images. But there is a great resource to help
solve this problem, as you may well know. Once the images are approximately
positioned,
by any means available, extra control points can be added by the ‘Create
control points here’ feature that can be invoked in the Preview tab of the Fast
Preview
panorama window. See here:
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/hugin-2015.0.0/en.shtml

You asked why I preferred to use a single lens. I am not at all clear why Hugin
suggests here that each image should have its own lens. If images do not all
have the
same dimensions, separate lenses need to be used. They may be required in other
circumstances, too. And if the settings of the lens are changed, the purist
will say
that each set of settings should have its own set of lens parameters. But here
it seemed to me that your set-up was sufficiently fixed to mean that any
variations that
were present from features like automatic focussing were likely to be masked by
variations in other factors, such as the exact positioning of the control
points. In those
circumstances it seemed to me that it was closer to reality to assume that only
a single lens was involved. Then, even with the full set of parameters a to e,
only 5 were
needed. I notice that you have allowed b to vary between the different lenses,
one for each image. That requires 20 parameters and they vary between roughly
-0.016
and -0.020. I suspect that this range is more than is needed specifically to
compensate for differences between the lens distortions for the different
images and has to
do with the fact that the more you give the optimiser to play with the better
result you get (provided there are enough control points, of course). In other
words
variations in b are used to adjust the relationships between the images.

Roger Broadie

Message Received: Dec 20 2016, 11:34 AM