I see that you are not the only one long time user who has problems with
maps. I have never managed to stitch any map in Hugin, while I stitch and
straighten many photos every day. Even when the control points are placed
correctly, the projection distorts every map. Even when the projection is
corrected by vertical and horizontal lines, there are many other
improvements (dedicated for photos) that make the final image erroneus. My
plea to anybody who understands the methods of stitching flat documents and
the GUI developer is to add "Flat document mode for beginners" to the main
menu. Preparing Hugin for maps really requires a lot of work that could be
accessible from the menu as a preset.
Scanned paper maps are not computer graphics, they are always distorted by
folded paper, scanner optical imperfection and photometric corrections
performed by the scanning software. Some statistics is required, the
similarity threshold optimized for high contrast and exposure correction
not as sensitive as in photography. I can participate in the process by
testing.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/74db4b76-964a-4e55-a9e9-cb44f1147822%40googlegroups.com.