Thanks for looking at it!

1.  The images are underexposed by about 5 EV.  The control point
>     detectors just can't cope.

Yeah these are actually just the dark frames of a three-exposure bracketed
HDR stack. Now that I have things sorted (see above) I'll incorporate the
other exposures as well.

2.  The images show extreme vignetting in the corners.

That's just due to a polarizing filter on the wide-angle lens (which is why
vignetting correction didn't help). The hope was that it would disappear
when pano'd, and it seems it has (thankfully).

3.  There was dirt at the top of the images, slightly to left of
>     centre.  It wasn't visible until the images were lightened.

Yeah. Gonna fix it in post. :-)

In passing, you probably don't need that many images for a circular
> panorama (not 360°; that includes a complete sphere).

Thanks for the tip.

Here's what I've gotten to
<http://caseyconnor.org/pub/image/hugin/panotest.jpg> now that I'm not
optimizing translation. Very happy with the results. Just need to
understand why translation optimization confused it so much... maybe the CP
detection on dark images, as you suggested?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/72bacec6-6ac8-429a-9bcb-c5761a779833%40googlegroups.com.