I'm using a discourse site and I see in the settings "Enable mailing list
mode".

It seems to be possible to reply or even create new threads through email:
-https://meta.discourse.org/t/set-up-reply-via-email-support/14003
- https://meta.discourse.org/t/configuring-reply-via-email-e-mail/42026

It also seems to be possible to import your google group emails data to
discourse:

Something nice with discourse is that you can create categories and then
only ask to get notifications from specific categories (people need of
course to use the correct categories when posting).

The discourse interface is from my point of view way better than google
groups, but migrating to discourse will probably be quite some work and a
change for all people used to the mailing list

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/CAEdfE-HoqZ3jnLmp8ua2hC43Eit_SzMBtiOZL6HdxwOxpk%3D5Wg%40mail.gmail.com.
  • Re: [hug... J. Schneider*
    • Re:... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
    • Re:... David W. Jones
      • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
        • ... Terry Duell
          • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
            • ... Frederic Da Vitoria
              • ... Marius Loots
              • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... Frederic Da Vitoria
              • ... RizThon
              • ... Greg 'groggy' Lehey
              • ... David W. Jones
              • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... David W. Jones
              • ... Gunter Königsmann
              • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... David W. Jones
              • ... Bruno Postle
              • ... Jim Watters