Hallo Everyone,

About the various options that has been proposed:

1. Facebook is not a migration option. It is not a platform for
   discussion, but rather a gathering area. Think townhall gathering
   with gate keepers who has a large influence over not only who is
   allowed in, but also who sees what. Search is not a functionality
   of the environment. If someone wants to use that to expand the
   exposure and use of Hugin, by all means go ahead. I would probably
   join such a group but it won't be my main place to look for help.

2. An online forum to replace the mailing list. Place an extra hurdle
   in front of my participation. I have to go see if there is any
   activity, as opposed to a mailing list where it is immediate. I did
   visit the online discussion forum mentioned earlier in this thread.
   It is less active and they don't seem to be aware of both the
   history of the software, or the existence of this group. Not sure
   how that is possible.

3. Current mailing list. I immediately see any activity. I can right
   now access all material from 2009 onwards, prior to that in my
   email archive. I am not diligent enough to delete unwanted
   material, but do from time to time delete technical threads to do
   with compiling, or platform specific discussions. And I can
   efficiently search my email, offline and permanently.

Monday, July 22, 2019, 11:25:58 AM, you wrote:

Frederic> I too use a mail client and I wouldn't want this to become impossible.

Frederic> 2019-07-22 9:51 UTC+02:00, 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other
Frederic> free panoramic software <hugin-ptx@googlegroups.com>:
>> Speak for yourself. I find it neither simple nor convenient. If you use it
>> only through your email client, it means you never search for existing
>> answers to your questions, which deflects the purpose of a forum. The only
>> reason I see for using it this way is if you only give help and never ask
>> for it.

Frederic> That's why it is nice to have a web page to perform searches. But then
Frederic> a mail archive on the web will offer the same function. Plus I keep an
Frederic> archive of the mails I find interesting (even the Hugin mails) and can
Frederic> search in my archive even when I am unable to connect to the Internet.
Frederic> You can search google groups for Hugin posts. Would a forum give
Frederic> better search results? I am not quite sure of this. More focused, yes,
Frederic> with less irrelevant answers. But using Google's search engine with
Frederic> it's tricks has it's advantages too.

Frederic> I understand wanting to get away from Google. But we must be careful
Frederic> not to lose important things. So I am OK with migrating to a forum, as
Frederic> long as the forum offers the same mailing as Google groups. Some
Frederic> forums for example only send mails if you explicitly subscribe to a
Frederic> thread. This would definitely be bad for me. I want to get all mails
Frederic> from all threads, without any action from me.

Frederic> --
Frederic> Frederic Da Vitoria
Frederic> (davitof)

Frederic> Membre de l'April - « promouvoir et défendre le logiciel libre » -
Frederic> http://www.april.org

Groetnis
 Marius
 mailto:mlo...@medic.up.ac.za
BMedSci (Hons) UP, PGCHE (UP) HCM (FPD)

add some chaos to your life and put the world in order
http://www.chaos.co.za/

Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule
onderhewig. Volledige besonderhede is by
www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/
beskikbaar.

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf
<http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf> for
full
details.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/1769321147.20190722115343%40up.ac.za.
      • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
      • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
        • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
  • Re: [hug... J. Schneider*
    • Re:... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
    • Re:... David W. Jones
      • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
        • ... Terry Duell
          • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
            • ... Frederic Da Vitoria
              • ... Marius Loots
              • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... Frederic Da Vitoria
              • ... RizThon
              • ... Greg 'groggy' Lehey
              • ... David W. Jones
              • ... 'Caetano Veyssières' via hugin and other free panoramic software
              • ... David W. Jones
              • ... Gunter Königsmann