I started this in a different thread that I don't want to pollute with
these details, so I'm trying to move that here.  I'm not currently prepared
to provide most of the info about what fails (didn't take good notes and
currently working on too many other things).  But helpful suggestions would
still be appreciated and I want to reply to a comment on this that was
posted in my other thread:

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 5:23:48 AM UTC-5 gunter.ko...@gmail.com
wrote:
> On MS Windows cmake only detects wxWidgets if wxWidgets *wasn't* built
using cmake.
 > The rest should work fine there, too, minus Windows having no standard
paths to store all
 > the libraries in and therefore needing to be told where to find them all.

How should I get a mingw64 build of wxWidgets on Windows?

For code with only extern C entry points, it is possible to use a VC++ dll
when building a mingw64 exe.  But for C++ entry points I don't believe
there is a way.

I didn't actually get wxWidgets to build with cmake.  I had similar, but
less overwhelming, problems in the use of cmake for wxWidgets as I had for
hugin itself.  So the failing cmake build of wxWidgets guided my manual
build (while my manual build of hugin was guided only by the source code
itself).
What about building wxWidgets in cmake makes cmake for hugin fail to find
it?
I did tell cmake where to find it and it still failed and the same was true
for boost and for several other dependencies.