Op 13-Jan-24 om 11:11 schreef David W. Jones:
On 1/12/24 22:34, Maarten Verberne wrote:
I don't have resources for it yet, either. But if my Dell laptop gives up the ghost (the Thunderbolt/USB-C port died last year), the replacement dollars go into the desktop. That currently has a motherboard running an Intel Pentium 4, so a motherboard replacement/new memory/new cooling system is inevitable.

in that case even a few gen old i3 will speed up things considerably due to avx :)

Not in my experience. Stitching starts, 16 threads fire up, and checking in htop shows none of them waiting for others.

a yes, that part is not single threaded, what i meant was that it starts with nona>enblend and then back to next image nona>enblend.

if i start one process you'll see so many peaks per minute on the GPU, where each peak is 2 images that are processed with nona.

if i start 3 (close after each other) you'll see a multitude of peaks, close to 3x as much per minute.

but after a while they will 'latch up' for quite some time, so the peaks on the gpu get wider and there are only so many peaks left as with one script. every now and then one of the quicker cores matches one of the slower cores in finishing an image save earlyer and the whole sequence of loose peaks starts over until they come together again.

I understand that enblend isn't always compiled with multiprocessor support, maybe that's the difference?

i'm using the precompiled version of hugin in windows, and that seems to be compiled properly for multriproc, it only lacks support for enblend gpu out of the box. but i didn't find any improvements speed wise by using enblend -gpu when i tried that.

Yeah, might be a bit much. But might be more cost effective than alternatives?

at this moment, that is definitely true for me :)

Yes, Nvidia isn't on my list. If I was using Adobe under Windows on this machine, I suppose the resident RTX would get used.

I understand AMD's GPUs are more power efficient than the RTX3000 series GPUs.

yes they are, i used a hd6850 for a while that would be twice the speed of the uhd630, 6x rtx3060...and that's a 10 year old card :)
however, i think the arc might be the real killer.

Hmm, I'd think that since you're doing this through scripts, you'd have control over where final images are written. I've never done that, but might be worth asking about.

i think it is too little gain to pursue that for now.

I survive on a mere 2TB M2 drive, but don't do as much heavy lifting as you.

for last year images i have 12TB in store, sorting and then stitching triples that for the duration of the project.

Hmm, I've had Hugin (particularly enblend) consume more than the 64GB RAM in my laptop when stitching. Probably depends on the sizes of the source images and the final image. Perhaps the image format, too?

absolutely.

I don't think GPU matters at all, as you pointed out about Intel onboard GPUs outrunning the fancy GPUs. If the GPU supports OpenGL (without throwing you out of house and home with its electric bill!), then any basic GPU is good. :)

It matters in the speed nona works, and that's still significant if you do a lot of stitching.

i might be able to catch some screen prints if you like.

Ah, as Lukas Wirz wrote, it appears openCL...got those mixed up, but the point stands. a gpu that does openCL well is what you want, that ain't nvidea, this is intel and amd.

About speedy cards, is it the FP64 performance that makes specific cards shine more?