----- Original Message -----
  From: Feroze Mithiborwala
  To: undisclosed-recipients:
  Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 8:29 PM
  Subject: Statement in support Peace Process: Pakistan-India Peoples’ Forum
for Peace & Democracy (PIPFPD)

  PIPFPD statement

  Peace process should not be casualty of dastardly killings

  Pakistan-India Peoples’ Forum for Peace & Democracy (PIPFPD) is deeply
concerned with the recent exchange of firing and report of the beheading of an
Indian jawan and a killing of another along the Line of Control (LoC). The
firing and killing of two Indian and two Pakistani jawans is highly deplorable
and no society can accept such unwarranted and gruesome incidences.

  The reported attack has been at the top of the Indian news agenda since late
on 8 January. Leading private TV channels continued to air onscreen captions
such as "Pak's open aggression" and "Indian jawans brutalized". The tone was
echoed by the most of the leading news papers. Some political leaders demanding
“ten Pakistani heads” in return and Army chief General Bikram Singh’s comment
that "We expect our commanders to be aggressive" added to the rising tension
and calls for abandoning the ongoing negotiations with Pakistan.

  Prime Minister Monmohan Singh, who has been pushing for a rapprochement with
Pakistan, despite opposition not only from the opposition political parties but
also from within his ruling coalition, was forced to state that there could not
be “business as usual” after the clash on the LoC. Foreign Minister Salman
Khurshid said ties could not remain unaffected by the flare-up on the border.

  All this has the potential to derail the ongoing peace process resumed in
March 2010. Since then, we have travelled far. A New Visa Agreement was drafted
and a part of it was to be implemented from 15 January 2013. Senior citizens of
65 and above were to get benefit of visa-on-arrival at Wagah-Attari.
Unfortunately, it is put on hold.  Pakistani singers like Ali Zafar, Mekaal
Hasan’s programme were forced to cancel. 9 Pakistani Hockey players were sent
back. The performances of Pakistani theatre groups at the international theatre
festival organized by the National School of Drama were cancelled.

  We sincerely believe that we need to investigate violations of Ceasefire in
force since November 2003. LoC is by and large peaceful since then though
ceasefire has been violated many times. But, they are aberrations rather than
rule. Ceasefire needs to be implemented in letter and spirit.

  We are happy that the leadership of the two governments have reiterated their
commitment to continue the dialogue process and the tension on the governments
have decided to strengthen the mechanism for resolving the disputes on the LoC
to minimize violations. We sincerely appeal to both the countries to take
immediate steps and see such incidences do not occur in the future. We   urge
the foreign ministers of India and Pakistan to meet soon to resolve the issuef
of cross LoC violations and take the peace process forward. We suggest
immediate resumption of normal trade across the LoC and implementation of the
visa-on-arrival scheme for senior citizens and further easing of the Visa
regime to enhance people-to-people contact which is essential for building
peaceful relations between neighbours.

  It is important to recognize that there are groups on both sides who want to
derail the peace process. Greater contact between the people of the two
countries will weaken these forces and take us forward to peace.

  --
  Feroze Mithiborwala