>>> In principle ac macros always have an "what if not found" part which
>>> allows us to fallback nicely.
>> Note that if you decide to take this approach, it is important that
>> neither the configure nor the make fail.
>
> I've checked configure, only the check for egrep may fail and does not
> provide any fallback which we could have used. It's only used for the
> documentation generation, Jeff, maybe we can find an alternative to
> egrep for what we use it for?

I made a quick pass as well. Here are some comments:

1. I see a AC_PROG_CC_C99 in the configure.ac. Do you require the
compiler to be C99 capable always? If yes, then you might want to check
the return value $ac_cv_prog_cc_c99 and do something with it (maybe abort).

2. I believe AM_CONDITIONAL is automake-1.11 specific. Can someone
verify this? If this is correct, then your AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE should
contain 1.11 as a prereq.

> make is supposed to always succeed (unless bugs of course :) )

Great! Thanks.

 -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji