On Dec 5, 2009, at 7:55 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:

> 1) I don't understand this but I hope you know what you're doing since I
> seem to remember that it was related to the failure to build with
> autoconf 2.63.
>
> -ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I config -I m4
> +# Note that the -I directory must *exactly* match what was specified
> +# via AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR in configure.ac.
> +ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I ./config

Yes, I *think* I got this stuff right (I had to twonk with it a bit), but I'll
double check AC2.63 just to be sure.

> 2) Is there a s/disable/enable/ needed in this comment?
>
> +# Disable building the executables
> +AC_DEFUN([HWLOC_ENABLE_EXECUTABLES],[

Fixed; thx.

> 3) I am surprised to see HWLOC_SYM_PREFIX{,_CAPS}. I seem to remember
> you saying it was a mistake in PLPA and you wouldn't do the same in hwloc.

Correct -- this is a cut-n-paste-ism from PLPA.  I hadn't ripped it out yet.
It will go.

> 4) There are some configure checks that might need to remain in the main
> configure since they may only be used by tools or tests (which embedded
> should not build, right?):
> * cairo (tools only)
> * wchar/libtermcap/curses (maybe tools only)
> * libibverbs (tests only)
> * libnuma (tests only)
> * bash? (Linux test only)
> * xmllint? (xml test only)
> * HWLOC_CHECK_DIFF_U (tests only)

Embedded hwloc *can* build these things (tools and tests); it's just not the
default.  OMPI, for example, will not build the hwloc executables because we'll
only want the library code to be slurped into OMPI's larger libraries.

> 5) There are a bunch of OMPI that should be replaced with hwloc in the
> comments :)

Oops.  :-)  I found one regarding the version (in configure.ac) -- I can't find
any others.  Can you cite?

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquy...@cisco.com