On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:15 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> > For extra bonus points, I'll have the PDF refer to hwloc.1.  :-)
>
> Mmm, maybe that wasn't exactly my plan: it was that hwloc.1 would

FWIW, it's actually hwloc.7 (realized that section 7 was more appropriate after
I was typing it up).

> actually be also a chapter of the PDF file too.  Yes, that's duplication
> of the documentation, but it is needed both when reading the PDF and
> when reading manpages, but this way it can be in our source just once.

That's what I was trying to say in my first mail -- the text that is now
hwloc.7in overlaps what is currently in hwloc.doxy (*some* text overlaps; some
does not).  I.e., hwloc.7in and hwloc.doxy intersect; one is not a subset of
the other.  It would take some additional work to merge the two sets of content
into a single set that could be included in both places.

I was assuming that the PDF was a high-level doc and the man pages were
lower-level.  Hence, it was ok for the PDF to say less things than them man
pages (i.e., fewer details) -- which is more-or-less what it is now.  As such,
I'm personally ok with the way the information is currently laid out.  But I
would not object if you merged the two existing text sections together and made
it so that there was only one common chunk of text that is included in both the
PDF and hwloc.7.  :-)

(I would object to simply including hwloc.7 as a standalone PDF chapter without
any merging into the existing text, however)

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquy...@cisco.com