On 15 Feb 2010, at 22:02, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Ashley Pittman, le Mon 15 Feb 2010 21:52:29 +0000, a écrit :
>>>
>>> Maybe, depending on whether you want to discover according to the other
>>> process' binding (sched_setaffinity) or according to the other process'
>>> restricted view of the machine (Linux cpuset).
>>
>> I don't understand the difference, I thought they were two ways of achieving
>> the same thing?
>
> Linux cpusets are administrator restrictions.  A normal user can not
> escape its cpuset.  It can however choose the binding within that
> cpuset.  That is why by default hwloc limits its topology detection
> to the cpuset of the current process, since it's not allowed to bind
> threads of the process beyond that anyway. (same for the set of online
> cpus).

Ah that makes sense.

I suspect the right thing to do is to from my perspective is to report the
affinity rather than the cpuset then or rather whichever of the two is most
restrictive which will be the affinity if it's set and the cpuset if it's not.

Ashley,

--

Ashley Pittman, Bath, UK.

http://padb.pittman.org.uk