Hello

hwloc 2.0 was released 4 years ago and this major release was painful because it broke the ABI and significantly changed the API. I want to avoid having users modify their code with #ifdef again. But there is at least one good reason to break the ABI in the future (support for 32bits PCI domains). It means you wouldn't have to modify your code but you would have to rebuild it against the new hwloc.

I don't know yet we'll do it in 6 months (in 3.0 after 2.9?) or in 5 years (it currently only depends on whether the PCI domain issue becomes very common or not). If you see something else to change in the API or ABI, or if you have any comment about all this, please let me know.

Brice