On 25.09.2014 01:39, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Dennis Jacobfeuerborn, le Thu 25 Sep 2014 01:31:21 +0200, a écrit :
>> I'm not sure why it would draw to an x11 window?
>
> Well, that's what we would call a "graphical output" :)
>
> So I guess you are saying that making a .png or .pdf doesn't work?  Does
> hwloc-ls --help list them as supported output formats?

Supported output file formats: console, txt, fig, xml, synthetic

The question I guess is how does the command determine the availability
of png as an output? Both cairo and libpng are installed.

> If not, not only cairo is needed, but cairo itself needs to have support for
> pdf/ps/png/svg built it.  I don't know how it was built on your system, but
> perhaps that is what is missing?
>
> At worse, you can use the .fig format, and use fig2dev to convert them. Or you
> can export to .xml and render graphically on your workstation from the .xml
> file.

The XML route would probably best as a fallback though it would still be
interesting to find out why hwloc-ls thinks it cannot do png output.

Regards,
  Dennis