Good question.  Maybe not an answer referring to hwloc.
When managing a large NUMA machine, SGI UV, I ran the OS processes in a
boot cpuset which was restricted to (AFAIR) the first 8 Cpus.
On Intel architecures with E and P cores could we think of running OS on E
cores only and having the batch system schedule compute tasks on P cores?