Hi Masha,

Sorry for the late response -- Unfortunately I was using my mail client in a wrong way, so I marked all mails as read … definitiv a layer 8 issue.

On 28.06.24 09:52, Мария Шикунова via I18n wrote:

I am interested in translating Geany Documentation into Russian but I noticed that there is no tools for doing this (e.g. like .po files for the interface). And the only thing I can do is use initial .html/.txt file and change English text into Russian manually (also with making screenshots in Russian) but I do not know what to do after that because I am not a programmer, I am just a translator.

I am also ready to keep the documentation up to date.

So my main question is: is it somehow possible to translate documentation and include translation into your source code?

So far there is no official gettext e.a. compatible version of the manual. Even though IIRC there was a start of a project maybe 10 years ago that translated the manual to Russian language – according to the URL it was around 0.19

https://www.geany.org/manual/0.19_ru/index.html

Most likely lot's of the content is outdated -- even though a big piece might still be valid.

If you can provide a Russian version of the txt file, we can include it to the build process, which is used to render from Restructered Text HTML or PDF. This is the less difficult thing you don't need to worry much – and it would be really cool to have an updated version of the manual for our Russian speaking users.

Cheers,
Frank