Hi,

At 12 Sep 2001 17:07:17 +0100,
Juliusz Chroboczek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> TK> Are you saying that nothing should be added to XTerm?
>
> No.  I am not objecting to the use of fontsets.  I am objecting to the
> facts that XIM (i) imposes the use of a specific output mechanism, and
> (ii) makes it visible to the application.  (Either of those alone
> would be an issue, but XIM has both.)

Just as Xft (i) imposes the use a specific encoding and (ii) makes
it visible to the application. :-)

As you know, this is because XFontSet has been then only way to
treat i18n text for long years.  Yes, now I understand you.
Such an extension of XIM protocol would be nice, though it would
require XIM servers to have encoding conversion mechanisms and
so on so on...

BTW, how do you think about IIIM?

> TK> Please develop an alternative protocol if you think so.
>
> This is most definitely a task for the community that uses IMs.
>
> I have no doubt that the community will be able to develop new input
> method mechanisms.  At any rate, this will become necessary as we move
> towards RENDER fonts and away from core fonts.

I always feel dissatisfaction of Unicode advocates who say
"Migrate into Unicode and you won't have any problems" but
they forget about XIM and so on.  Please research how much
amount of labor will be needed to migrate into Unicode.
Since I am rather a newcommer to this field (and also to XIM
and so on), I am curious knowing the fact that senior Japanese
people who know very well on X11R5/6 and i18n tend to object
to Unicode-based i18n and prefer CSI.  It may be because I
don't know the difficulty or dirtiness of Unicode-based i18n
that I don't dislike it.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/